Saturday, November 22, 2008

Auditioning In Community Theater





At this point currently, I have been taking voice lessons for 9 months. But back in March is when I decided that I'd start auditioning for plays around this area. Better sooner then later to ATLEAST start getting over this fear I have of singing in front of people. The first musical I auditioned for was for Pensacola Little Theater, and it was for a musical called, "Seussical". Was definately a more relaxed environment then the Disney audition. So, if anything I was OVERprepared for this audition in comparison.
One thing that quirked my eyebrow though, was the fact that nearly 70% of the people auditioning were under 5 feet tall, and no older then 15. Well, that just didn't seem right but they assured everyone that they needed adults for the show too. So for the first time ever, I sung in front of a whole room of people that I didn't know. The judges, the other auditionees (and their fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, cousins, great uncles, etc.), and felt like I was all out going to pass out. I didn't do that great of a job, but little did I know that just that initial step up into actually doing something I was never able to do before was going to be a big milestone for me.
I didn't get a part in the musical, and again it discouraged me slightly. When I audition for films anymore, I am completely past the point of discouragement if I don't get a call back. Guess I got to work into it with theater. But about a month and a half after THAT audition there was going to be another audition for a musical called, "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum"...and my voice teacher was also going to be auditioning for that one, and insisted that I go out for it. Not only that, but he assured me that ALL the parts were for adults this time. Ha.
Again, this was for Pensacola Little Theater...and the audition process was exactly the same as it was for Seussical. I had done some research on the play, and where as I would've loved to land a leading part I was just really hoping to land a part of a courtesan. They do the most dancing in the show (I've got 13 years dance experience in ballet, jazz, tap, and modern), and they have actual character "names". Which would be a lot nicer to add to a resume versus, "Ensemble".
Come call backs, I got the call! They offered me the part of one half of "The Gemini", which was a pair of courtesans that were twins. I was definately excited, overjoyed, felt like running through a meadow with my hands outstretched to either side and-you get the picture. Unfortunately, that same day...I was in a car accident. Which is a COMPLETELY different story all together, but long story short. I was t-boned at 65 mph, got knocked out on impact, didn't remember a thing except for the car heading towards me, and then waking up in the ambulance. It happened several months ago, I just recently got a new car (other one was totaled)...the whole freakin' mess is over with, and I am physically fit as a fiddle, and so what happened with the play do you ask?
I fortunately was able to still do it. My boyfriend God bless his soul, willingly drove me not only back and forth to work, but also back and forth to the many dress rehearsals every week that I had to go to. So I was able to go through with it. :-D


0 Comments:

Post a Comment