Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Haunting A Helicopter






So, the Naval Aviation Museum holds a Halloween event for families every year, and this year they partnered with Pensacola Little Theater to have a haunted helicopter. It's this old war copter that they decked out in Halloweenish stuff and barred off the cockpit with caution tape, and put two skeletons in the pilot seats.

They needed some actors for the copter, so I volunteered my time. Got to pick out a costume from the theaters enormous collection. Went through many phases, picked out several "dirty dresses", the directors contemplated making me a clown, which I honestly wasn't so keen about...I wanted something, different and unique that I could play with. (Yeah I know it was just a kiddie haunted house thing, but every oppurtunity counts!)

So I dug through some boxes from their previous year that they did a haunted theater of sorts and found the perfect dress, black lace and torn up...and fit like a GLOVE. So I became the dead black bride.

It wasn't until the morning OF that I decided what I'd look like, everywhere else...I put my hair in pigtails, whitened up my face, sunk in (is SUNK the right usage there? hm.) my eyes, and drew stitch marks on my forehead, neck, and on either side of my mouth. Yes indeedy I was inspired by Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas. And that's pretty much exactly who channeled the entire time I was "haunting".
Not too many kids were scared of me, I startled them sure because they weren't expecting to see me as they rounded the corner, but once I opened my mouth to speak the fear would soon turn into a smile. Kids like creepy, undead women who like to stare absently at the wall...WHO knew.

It was difficult to decide what avenue to go with all this, because I knew that there'd be a lot of young kids and I didn't want to full out scare them. So I went for more of a creepy approach, and interacted with them...to put them more at ease. Complimenting their costumes, asking how they were doing...and what not. Several kids got pictures with me, and one little girl INSISTED on coming back through several times just to talk with me, including running back in to give my legs a hug. That...I wasn't expecting.



Even the adults seemed to get a kick out of my performance. Some thanking me for not being "too scary", and taken aback that even though they were talking to me as if I wasn't who I was pretending to be, I never broke character. It was nice to see their reactions.

If you watch the video above, you can see a highlight of the way that I was speaking, and my mannerisms as I participated in this haunt. I'd definately do it again, although next time I'd love to go WAY more into it, and truly try to creep people out, and have them wanting to run away from my ghoulishness. Bwahaha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment